Romans 12:12 "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;"

We are moving!





Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Perspective: Keep the Right Focus

Wednesday night bible study is always good.  Tonight I finally found (er, was given) a new verse for the blog.  Our congregation has been studying Phillipians for quite a while.  May I preach at you? Thanks!


Phillipians 4:4-7
 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
When Paul wrote these words, he was most likely chained to a Roman soldier.  Yet, he did, and we are, to rejoice always.  I don't know about y'all, but I rarely rejoice.  Shame on me.  I rather prefer to focus on my hardships.  Poor pitiful me.  Nuh-uh, not Paul.  Or David (think King David.)  He, David, was often depressed and hard pressed (Psalms.) Bro. Allen shared David's keys to success and I'll share them with y'all. 
      1) Remember who God is (creator, I AM that I AM)
      2) Remember what God has done for you in the past (look back at your 'faith stones')
      3) Remember God's promises when you trust (think conditional promises)

Phillipians 4:8-9
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

And Paul was a dude you could follow.  Of course, I would rather you follow Christ; He's the standard.  Now, let's talk specifics! True, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtue, praiseworthy: that's the Bible.   So when others are 'clearing their mind to let the energy flow' you just meditate on the word of God.  Sidenote: I'm a woman, you might be too.  I can never REALLY clear my mind anyway, please don't suggest it.  

SO that was what I was thinking during Bible study.  Also, look back at verse 5.  What do people think of when they think of you? I don't want you to think Bulldog, though I love 'em.  I want you to think "man, she loves Jesus", is that bordering on pride?  Ok well, that is all for today. 

No comments: